Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Gotta love those old movies

One of my favourite pastimes is watching some of the great old movies. There’s just something so special about watching actors like Bette Davis, Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Claudette Colbert, Maureen O’Hara, and June Allyson, just to name a few. I find so many of the story lines so interesting, and even have learned how to appreciate the artistry in the filming and directing of the movie.

Over the years I now have personal favourites. Some of these include “Jane Eyre” (1944 version), Bette Davis’ “All  This And Heaven Too”, “The Inn of Sixth Happiness” with Ingrid Bergman, “Roman Holiday”, “The Rear Window”, “Gone With The Wind”,  “Little Women” with June Allyson and Margaret O’Brien, “An Affair to Remember”, and “The Stratton Story” with James Stewart and June Allyson. I have so many others that I could list, but I think my list would just go on and on. I think it’s safe to say that I do love the old classics. Even though I know the plot of these movies inside and out, each time I watch these movies I find that I’m totally captivated with the story as if it’s the first time I’ve watched them.

There are certain movies that one must watch during different times of the year. At Christmas I love watching the standards like “It’s a Wonderful Life”, “White Christmas” and “The Bishop’s Wife.” And I now have new holiday standards like “The Shop Around the Corner” and “Christmas in Connecticut”. Every Easter I watch “Easter Parade and every Halloween I like to watch Don Knotts in “The Ghost and Mr. Chicken”, “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “Arsenic and Old Lace.”

I love the old comedies, pretty much anything with Doris Day in it, Ma & Pa Kettle movies (including “The Egg and I”), “It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World” and the ever fun Don Knotts’ movies. At the same time I thoroughly enjoy dimming the lights and watching some good murder mysteries and also Alfred Hitchock films. It’s always interesting to locate the scenes where Hitchock makes a quick cameo. And then there’s the days where I just need a good movie to make me feel better. Some of these include, “Pollyanna”, “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father”, “Follow Me Boys” with Fred MacMurray, and the original “Parent Trap” with Hayley Mills.

When watching a movie in the theatre we generally have someone that comes along. And it’s after the movie that we usually go and grab a coffee and talk about the storyline, the acting and how the movie made us feel. When I watch a classic movie on tv, dvd, or video I don’t always have that luxury. Many of my friends don’t necessarily share my appreciation for the classics so I try not to talk too much about the movies I love. That’s why I decided to start this blog. I’ve never blogged before, in fact I must confess I have secretly laughed at those that do. This shall be a new experience for me whether or not anyone else ever reads this, and I do think it should be a fun thing to do.

If by any chance someone else does show up on my blog, I welcome you and hope you’ll add comments and or thoughts about those movies that I will be talking about and those movies that you enjoy. Where this all leads I don’t have a clue, but for what it’s worth it’s just this “Classic Movie Gal’s” silly way of having a conversation about the movies I enjoy, even if it’s just a one way conversation to and from myself. It’s time now to get the popcorn popping and let the movies begin.  

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, I love old movies too. So does hubby. We're working on getting the kids to watch. They balk at black and white but relent if it's a comedy and they loved Gone with the Wind and The Sound of Music.

    Shelley Nelson

    ReplyDelete